GEM WX2 Keyboard Overview
The GEM WX2 Multimedia Workstation is a 61 note classic keyboard appearance with Styles, Sequencer, Performances and ability to load (with the optional 2 Megabyte sample RAM DISP), samples from the S Series Disks.
GEM WX2 will also read GEM S2 and GEM S3 library sound sample disks, with the optional sample memory.
Issues: The WX Series has SRAM for internal storage. This SRAM (Static RAM), uses a rechargeable NiCd backup battery which is prone to leaking and the battery acid when leaking, often corrodes the PCB and components. Recommend changing the NiCd battery immediately for a separate battery pack, mounted away from the PCBs.
Upgrades: The Operating System (Firmware), is stored in EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory). Various releases were made and can updated to the latest (at the time). The EPROM releases can be found in GEM & LEM EPROM Information and all EPROM BIN files can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
Disks: A large range of GEM and GEMClub members disks can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
- GEM WX2 Plus Upgrade
- GEM WX/SX Audio/Video Interface with Vocal Processor
- GEM SRAM Upgrade
- Keyboard: 61 Keys (C2-C7) Dynamics and Aftertouch sensitivity (channel)
- Sound Generation: method PCM, Wavetables, Multiloop, Crossfade Multiwave and Subtractive Synthesis
- Polyphony: 32 Notes, 32 Oscillators (single mode); 16 Notes, 32 Oscillators (double mode)
- Memory: 6 Megabytes ROM, 256 KByte Static RAM (Ni/Cd battery-backed) 2 Megabyte RAM DISP (optional) for PCM Samples
- Effects: Two digital multi-effects processors with Effects editor for custom effects
- Sounds: 472 ROM Sounds arranged in 16 Families (344 Sounds, 112 Percussion sounds, 16 Drumkits), up to 1472 user-programmable Performance Sounds and 184 user programmable Performance Drumkits 48 additional PCM Samples with optional Sample RAM DISP
- Performances: 184 Performances (24 Real-Time in 3 Banks, 64 Internal Style in 8 Banks, 32 Programmable Style in 4 Banks, 64 Song/Song Style in 8 Banks)
- Sequencer: 16 Tracks, 16 timbres (dynamic voice allocation),1/192 quarter note resolution, 250,000 events, 8 Songs, 64 Internal Styles + Variation, 32 Programmable Styles + Variation, Background Song Loading, Realtime and Step record modes, full Event Edit facilities (Master Track, Copy, Move, Erase, Insert/Delete, Transpose/Dynamic, Quantize, Microscope, Name, Undo)
- Style/Sequencer controls: Start/Stop, Intro/End, Fill/Tap, Var/Cont, REC, >> (fast forward); << (fast rewind), Tempo-Fix, Sync Score Possibility of displaying Melody-Chords-Lyrics, Chords only, Lyrics only (Zoom edit), Get from Track function
- Panel controls: Master Volume slider, Dial, Function Keys (F1…F8), Cursor Diamond (Up/Down/Left/Right arrows) with Toggle (On/Off key), Track Ball (Modulation and Pitch Bend)
- Display: Graphic, Liquid Crystal, neon-backlit, 240×64 pixel resolution, Contrast control
- Edit section: Disk, Performance, Sound, Mixer, Effect 1/2, MIDI, Status, Splits, Arrange, Clock
- Floppy Disk Drive: 3.5″ 2DD/2HD Disk/SRam operations (for Sound/Drumkit/Effects/Performance parameters/Sequence data/MIDI data, and for Standard MIDI Files), Load User program, Preload, LoadWS songs (WS SOFTWARE COMPATIBLE)
- Miscellaneous: Backlit panel keys, resident Demo Song, Option facility for use with User Programs
- Connections: Volume Pedal (fixed), Damper Pedal, Pedal 1, Pedal 2 (all programmable and polarity reversible), Audio In Left-Right/Mono (mic-line), Output Left/Right, External Send/Return, MIDI (In, Thru, Out 1 – Out 2), Pedalboard, Headphones, Video Out (RGB/TV)
- Amplification: 20W+20W Stereo
- Dimensions: (HxLxW) 120x1090x370 mm – 4.7×42.9×14.5 inches
- Weight: 13 kg (28.6 lbs)