Made primarily for the middle eastern market, the GEM WS1 Oriental was used Worldwide. The available GEM disks with Arabic, Greek and Turkish songs and Styles, made this an even more popular oriental instrument.
Issues: The WS Series has SRAM for internal storage. This SRAM (Static RAM), uses a rechargeable NiCd backup battery which is prone to leaking and the battery acid when leaking, often corrodes the PCB and components. Recommend changing the NiCd battery immediately for a separate battery pack, mounted away from the PCBs.
Upgrades: The Operating System (Firmware), is stored in EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory). Various releases were made and can updated to the latest (at the time). The EPROM releases can be found in GEM & LEM EPROM Information and all EPROM BIN files can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
Disks: A large range of GEM and GEMClub members disks can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
- Keyboard has 61 keys with velocity and 32 note polyphony
- 128 sounds + 20 oriental sounds + 1 standard
- Preset and programmable Drumkits + 1 oriental drum kit (percussion)
- Arabkit is 5 Octaves, 3 of which include Arabic Percussion sounds (Arabic, Greek, Turkish, etc.)
- Display: 16 x 2 LCD(backlit)
- Effects: 16 reverbs + 16 modulations
- Styles: 32 styles + 32 oriental styles,3tracks (drums, bass, accompaniment)
- Sequencer: 32 user songs(5 tracks), 32 song styles (3 tracks-Lower, Upper, Chords),’Chain Compose’. 32 programmable styles
- Multi Track programmable sequencer with professional editing for: Real-Time Songs, Song Styles, Song Patterns
- MIDI: 5 channels, Common channel, 5 tracks local, with On/Off, filter In/Out, external clock and MIDI dump
- Inbuilt speakers with Digital pre-amplifier, power amplifier, with Loudness Control
- Pitch and modulation ball
- Internal Mains power supply
- Dimensions WS1 Oriental: (H x L x D) mm. 125 x 985 x 340