GEM S3 Music Processor Synth
When GEM released the S Series Music Processor in 1992, the synth world stood up and listened to the impressive technological rich and resonant sounds which the S Series produced.
Together with the many advanced features, functions, powerful sequencer, editing suite, ability to read and edit samples and excellent real-time controllers, the new S Series certainly stood out.
The GEM S3 has a 76-note keyboard with semi-weighted keys with touch and release velocity, polyphonic after-touch, 16-note polyphonic synth engine and metal keyboard contacts.
On the matt black front panel, there are seven programmable sliders, seven programmable buttons and Pitch and Modulation wheels. All functions are logically and clearly displayed on a large graphical LCD with light blue neon back-lighting.
Due to the vast range of functions available, excellent keyboard hardware and also thanks to two MIDI I/O’s, the GEM S3 is an ideal master keyboard for the home or professional studio.
Upgrades: The Operating System (Firmware), is stored in EPROM (erasable programmable read-only memory). Various releases were made and can updated to the latest (at the time). The EPROM releases can be found in GEM & LEM EPROM Information and all EPROM BIN files can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
The S Series Turbokit upgrade enables extra features to be added to the original S Series.
Disks: A large range of GEM and GEMClub members disks can be found in the GEMClub Members Downloads area.
- Keyboard – 76 semi-weighted keys with velocity, release velocity and polyphonic aftertouch
- Polyphony – 16 voices (Turbo models 32 voices)
- Multitimbral – 16 parts
- Sampler – 2 MB sample RAM
- Oscillators – one per voice
- Waveforms – 209 multisamples on 6MB ROM
- LFO – 1 LFO with Sine, Triangle, Saw, Square, Random and S&H shapes
- Filter – 2 DCF’s per voice 12 dB/Oct. with resonance (Lowpass, Highpass, Bandpass, Parameter Cut, Parameter Boost), with envelope.
- Envelope – 10-segment envelope with cycling
- Effects – 2 units with reverbs, choruses, flangers, delays, rotary speaker simulation
- Sequencer – 16-Track sequencer, up to 250 000 events/notes
- Songs – 10 songs with 10 sequences each
- Memory – 100 Performances
- Control – 2 complete MIDI interfaces